Ring recently announced Ring 2 doorbell release and I reached out to the company to get my hand on new Ring Video Doorbell 2 for review. And I didn’t get back from them, after a week I decided to order one to compare and write review.
- Rechargeable battery – It comes with replaceable battery and it great upgrade from 1st generation of Ring doorbell since you don’t need to unplug it every 6 month and can just swap the battery right away and it ready to go.
- 1080p Full HD Camera – They updated 720p camera to full hd camera and because of this field view went down to 160 degrees.
- Advanced Motion Sensor – It has upgraded motion detection sensors with new settings added.
Our Review of Ring Doorbell 2
What in the box
When I opened the box I saw a lot of improvement into presentation design. Every single piece was set where it should be.
In the box you will:
- The Ring Doorbell 2 itself.
- Silver and bronze bottom hosing.
- Rechargeable battery.
- Very good step by step manual with pictures.
- Tilted and wedged mounting attachments.
- Mounting hosing to install doorbell on the top of previous installation of 1st generation doorbell.
- Screws and other tools.
- Power wires and diode.
- Charging cable for the battery.
Installation very simple and even non tech savvy person will able to setup within couple minutes.
Just charge the battery and insert it to the doorbell. Open the app and click to add Ring Doorbell 2 and it will ask you to press the button behind the hosing to start the set up.
After you finished with the synchronization with the app just put the hosing together and you can mount the doorbell to the wall.
Ring includes both tilt and wedge mounting brackets for your convenience. Depend on your installation location you may need to use them for the best usability
Of course video quality improved from 720p to 1080p and now it has infra-red night vision. Big improvement from 1st gen.
Sound quality is great and similar to other Ring doorbells.
As from the features above I mentioned the doorbell has advanced motion detection. Now you can setup scheduling when you want to motion detection turn on.
Also you can setup the sensitivity of triggering motion detection alerts.
Another great feature is to enable which area to cover and how far you want motion detection to trigger.
Ring Doorbell 2 vs others
Lets compare Ring Doorbell 2 with other top smart doorbells. It compares to Skybell HD and to Ring Pro. The 1st generation of Ring video doorbell and August Doorbell Cam are not on the same level to compete, but of course they are cheaper.
Ring 2 vs Ring Video Doorbell
Ring Video Doorbell 2 is successor of the Ring Doorbell and it’s way better and good choice for upgrade.
It has better camera which outperform in the day time and night time. Also comes with improved motion detection with extra features. And of course convenience of swap-able rechargeable batteries
Ring Video Doorbell 2 vs Ring Pro
And how does it compare with more expensive Ring doorbell pro?
Let’s start with the design and form factor. The Ring Pro has slimmer design which help you to setup in smaller locations.
Also even it has similar video quality, the pro version outperform in day and night time.
Motion detection of Ring 2 is great, but it doesn’t have custom motion detection zones like Ring Pro does.
The 2 advantages Ring Doorbell 2 has over Ring Pro:
- It has rechargeable battery.
- And of course the price is lower.
Pros & Cons
- Full HD video quality
- Infra-red night video
- Upgraded motion detection
- Changeable rechargeable battery
- Cheaper than Ring Pro
- Doesn’t have custom motion detection zones
Let’s summaries everything what I learned during my Ring Doorbell 2 Review. It’s big improvement compare to the first generation of the Ring doorbell, but it doesn’t have custom motion zones like pro version.
If you are looking to upgrade the Ring doorbell and don’t really care about custom motion zoning and don’t liek to deal with hard-wiring then Ring Video Doorbell 2 is great choice!