Any of our readers were requesting to do Skybell HD doorbell review and today I finally got my hands on my first video doorbell with HD camera! This model is the successor of the first generation Skybell which we reviewed here.
How Does it Work?
Skybell HD starts recording video when the motion sensor activated and as soon as person press button doorbell will notify your cell phone that you have a new guest in front of your door. It connected with your wireless router and then it connects to your cell phone through the internet. Think about wireless router as a bridge between the doorbell and your cell phone.
You can answer with your cell phone and communicate with your guest with video the same way like you use video chat, but only you can see them.
- HD Video -- Doorbell provides 1080p full HD video streaming which is almost only one on the current market.
- Motion Sensor -- Sensor able to detect movement up to 8 feet away and start recording.
- Live Monitoring -- You can monitor what’s going on in front of your door from your cell phone device.
- Free Video Recording -- Ability to record videos and store them for future references.
- Color Night Vision -- Protect your house with the anti-theft device. It will record clear color video even at night.
- Photos Snapping -- Take a picture of your guest or intruders which are again great safety feature.
- Multiple Users -- You can setup doorbell with multiple devices and users.
- 2 Way Audio -- Ability to speak with your visitor while you are out of the house. A Very convenient feature especially if you expect delivery or some guests.
- Heavy Duty -- Do you live in the low or high-temperature area? Then you don’t need to worry because it is capable to work in outdoor conditions low as -40F (-40C) and as high as 140F (60C) temperature. In low and high moisture and it’s water resistant!
- HD Video Camera: 1080p/720p Resolution, 180 view with auto scaling.
- Night Vision: full-color night vision.
- Sensors: Motion detection up to 8-feet away, temperature, humidity and pressure.
- LED Indicator Light: 16mil color combo.
- Audio: Omni-directional microphone.
- Size: 2.8 inches (7.1 cm) wide, 0.9 inches (2.2 cm) deep.
- Weight: 1.9 ounces (53.8 gram).
- Colors: Silver and Bronze.
- Warranty: 12 months.
- Power: 8 -- 36 VAC, 10VA or 12DC with an amp rate of 0.5 to 1.0.
- Wi-Fi: compatible with Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4 Ghz up to 150 Mbps.
- Mounting: Mounting plate attaches to flat surface, bare wire installation.
- Mobile Device: Skybell doorbell app compatible with Android and Apple iOS.
Skybell came in fancy square box with accessories (Phillips screwdriver, couple screws and small getting started guide)
Skybell HD Installation
Simple attach doorbell to the wall near your front door and connect to your wireless router.
Well, not so simple, it will take you let’s say about 1 hour of work. And here are the steps:
- Find power source -- Skybell HD need to be connected either with existed doorbell wiring or through a skybell digital doorbell adapter. But if you are the lucky one and doesn’t have doorbell wiring then you will need to get the resistor to connect with power adapter. Otherwise, your new fancy doorbell will burn, and it doesn’t cover by warranty.
- Attach mounting plate -- After you figure out with your power source, you will need to attach the mounting plate to the location that you choice.
- Attached to the surface and mark spots for the screws.
- Take a drill and make small holes for the screws.
- Pull wiring through the plate and attach it to the wall.
- Now time to add this two screws and make mounting plate stick to the wall.
- Attach doorbell -- Attach the Skybell to the mounting plate and secure with screw hidden underneath.
- Download the Skybell HD app -- Skybell created a new app just for the new Skybell HD. Guess the name of the app? Yes, correct: Skybell HD. You can download and install to your iOS or Android device.
- Configure Skybell HD -- Open the app and it will prompt you to configure your new doorbell. It’s very easy and straight forward.
- Ding Dong -- Now after skybell installation and configuration you can test your new Skybell HD in action. Just press “Skybell” button on doorbell or live view from the app.
Of course, HD wifi doorbell camera provides great video quality compared to previous models, but still, I experienced 1-2 seconds delays. On the bright side, the night quality is better now. You can even setup brightness of the LED.
Despite that I have a really powerful wireless router and fast internet, I was loosing video signal between Skybell and the iOS device.
Compatibility with Other Devices
It does work with Nest devices. For example, you can connect to your nest camera and see video from the camera instead from the doorbell. It will detect with motion sensor if somebody near your door and will start to record it and notify you as well.
And also Skybell HD easily integrates with the Kevo smart door lock. So you will able to unlock or lock your door right withing the skybell app. Or you can also use IFTTT network to make it work with others smart locks.
|Skybell HD||Design||Easy Installation||Video Quality||Livestream||Motion Detecting||Night Vision||Audio Quality||Apps||Cloud Storage||Integration||Our Rating|
|Comments||Modern round design with plastic shell||Required existed power wires||1080p Full HD||Yes and it's great||Unable to draw and specify zoning for motion detection||LED light helps to see clear at night||Descent audio quality with some delay||Sometimes slow and glitchy||Free 7 days video storage||Works with IFTTT and smart locks||Overall great doorbell just need to improve the app and motion detection.|
Competitions and Alternatives
There are plenty of alternative smart video doorbells on the market like Ring wifi doorbell and you can read Ring Video Doorbell Review here and another one is August doorbell also find out how skybell hd vs ring pro compare to each other. The big advantage Skybell HD has over this doorbells is HD camera. Also, I am waiting for Ring Pro doorbell to test it against Skybell HD.
Pros & Cons
- HD Camera -- It’s big bonus. It’s actually almost 1 video doorbell with HD camera available right now on the market.
- Motion sensor works great. Can catch intruders right away.
- Ability to store video and download them anytime.
- Compatibity with Nest devices.
- Skybell HD app not available for Android 4 version.
- Video call was often losing signal, but only temporary.
- Video still delaying for about 1-2 seconds.
If you are looking for HD camera and good video quality despite some connection issues and delay, then Skybell HD is for you. I hope you like this review of Skybell HD, let me know if you have any questions below in comments.