Keyless entree locks become more popular for homeowners and for businesses because of abilities like managing access, remote controls, no need to carry keys anymore and just convenience. Today I had chance to play with U-tec Ultraloq UL3 keyless lock with ability to use keypad and fingerprint to get access.
Before I reviewed multiple smart locks like: August smart lock, Danalock or even Kwikset, but none of them had fingerprint reader which I was really interested in. I actually own a dog and sometimes when I am going out with him I don’t want to carry keys or cell phone with me since I just need to use keypad or my finger to open the door.
This lock also will be great if you are renting the house or just for your new guests while you aren’t at home. You can just create temporary pin code for them to use.
How Does it Work?
Very simple: add users to the UL3 lock through admin menu and assign personal 4-8 numbers pin code to them or they can user their fingerprint.
When person would like to open the door they can use either fingerprint or their access pin to open the lock.
- Keypad Code Access: Ability to open the lock with keypad code.
- Advanced Fingerprint Identification: Ability to open the lock with fingerprint in less than 0.5 seconds.
- User Managment: Managing up to 95 different users accesses (keypad codes and fingerprints).
- Hidden Backup Key: If the lock ran out of battery then you can use backup key to regain access.
- Sensors: Just reach out with your fingers to the touch keypad and it will illuminate and activate smart lock for operations.
- Water and Dustproof: You can install your lock on outside door without afraiding of water or moist getting inside the device.
- Sensors: Touch sensor.
- Door Range: 1-3/8″~1-3/4″ (35mm-44mm)
- Colors: Silver
- Warranty: 18 months electronic warranty.
- Operation Temperatures:
- Outside lock body: -31F (-35C) to 158F (70C).
- Inside lock body: 14F (-10) to 131F (55C).
- Power: 3 AA Batteries with up to 1-year battery life.
- Mounting: Regular lock hole + need to drill hole for the top connection.
The UL3 lock arrived in big heavy box with all accessories and guides. I made a quick unboxing video which you can watch below.
Installation is pretty much easy and straight forward. The box comes with all accessories and installation tools you need.
Here are quick steps:
- Remove old lock.
- Make a hole to connect the top part of the lock. The box comes with the drill template which will help you to make hole in exact place.
- Attach strike box if need it.
- Insert latch into the door.
- Attach front panel of the smart lock.
- Insert spindle inside the front panel through the latch.
- Connect lock mount bracket on inside part of the door.
- Move cable through the mounted plate and connect to the inside part.
- Secure interior assembly with the screws.
- Insert 3 AA batteries and install battery cover.
- Attach handles on the outer and interior smart lock plates.
With U-tec UL3 lock you can setup up to 95 users and tt’s very easy to add them. Below you can find steps:
- To activate digital keypad touch it with back of your fingers.
- Press and hold enter button for 3 seconds to enter to admin menu.
- First you will need to add admin. Click “7” to add admin.
- Smart lock will ask you to enter either pin code or to add user through the fingerprint.
- Now admin can add up to 95 different users with the same steps. In the menu just press “1” to add new users.
To remove users go back to menu panel and press “2”.
Competitions and Alternatives
We didn’t have a chance to review direct competitions with fingerprint or pin code features like: Yale, Schlage or Samsung. But we did review other smart locks which I pointed in the beginning of the review and I just miss smartphone access and ability to open the lock remotely.
Pros & Cons
- Sleek modern design.
- No needs to carry any smartphone device to get access.
- Ability to get access with finger print or with the code.
- Up to 95 users.
- Easy to install.
- Doesn’t support smartphones, but new version is coming soon.
- Fingerprint reader very accurate, but only record 2 times the fingerprint.
- If batteries died need to have admin key with you to open the lock. However there is low battery alarm to notify you when there is 1 thousand time access left.
- Need to keep track of users, but in bluetooth model you can easily manage users through cell phone app.
If you are looking for keyless access using just keypad or fingerprint then this device is for you. You can use it either for front doors or for interior doors like for wine cellars, garage or other rooms. And if you are person who wants to control the house through the cell phone then you need to check other devices or you can order bluetooth version.
More images below:
Backup Ley Lock
Where you can use Ultraloq?