Best smart thermostat means to make you as comfortable as possible especially if they are from a brand like Nest. If you have been using the Second generation of the Nest model, then it is time for you to upgrade it and get the third generation. Wondering if it will be worth it? Well, granted that the third generation is not something totally new, but it can certainly enhance your comfort level with its bigger and easy-read display and its ability to identify movement even from the farthest corner of the room.
The following Nest Thermostat Review will give you all the necessary information like regarding the Nest thermostat which in turn will help you decide whether you would like to purchase it or not.
- Auto Schedule: If you want the Nest to learn your routine thoroughly, then this smart feature is a must. If you turn it on, it will get familiar with your daily routine and operate accordingly. Say for example – you want to save energy and you want the thermostat to have a unique sense of understanding as to when to do it, the device will automatically save energy, and you would not have to meddle with it.
- Auto-Away: Some of you will be out of your house most of the time during the day. Now, the cool thing about Nest is that it will recognize both your presence and absence and act suitably. So on days when you are not at home, it will decrease the temperature if it is hot (provided you have instructed it to do so) and on wintry days, it will rise up the temperature and ensure that there is enough warmth in the area.
- From Cool to Dry: This element is different from the stereotypical AC that is meant for only cooling the room. Cool to Dry makes use of the air conditioner at your home and makes it appear to be a dehumidifier. Although using the AC will not be inexpensive or eco-friendly, it will at least make certain that you feel more at comfort in weather that is both warm and stuffy.
- Blocking the Sun: The previous versions of Nest had this glitch where the temperature readings were influenced because of the light of the day. Had there been no sunblock feature in the current version, you would have a hard time dealing with this device. Now that you have the facility to use this feature, you no longer have to worry about it being in contact with direct sunlight and subsequently giving faulty readings.
- Time to Temp: After the Nest has had a fair understanding of your home and heating/cooling system, it would follow a set of rules and ultimately be able to determine the time it will take for your home to heat up or get cooled. The genius of Nest is that this feature can never be turned off (even by mistake) which means that now the Nest’s interface will give you a correct estimate of the necessary time so that you can make alterations accordingly.
- Early On: Suppose you are coming home at six in the evening and want your house to be at a certain temperature when you get inside, the Early-on feature will ensure that you get what you want. By merging the information, it got through the Time to Temp feature with the thermostat’s timetable it will have an idea about when to start working to get the right temperature for you, the moment you walk in.
- Leaf: This feature is never off. The Leaf will turn green when you are conserving fuel and saving money. When you set the thermostat in the energy saving mode, the image of the leaf will occur on the front part of the Nest’s head to indicate that you are being eco-friendly and saving money in the process.
- Airwave: The old-fashioned thermostat will stop running the fan as soon as you turn off the air conditioner. With the Airwave feature now, you can make use of the fan and have a home that is evenly cool. If you want to use your fan more, you can go to the Nest settings and fix a time for it to run for so many minutes/hours.
- Installation: When you compare it with other brands or even the earlier versions, you will find that installing the current edition is a piece of cake. Just go through the manual and if you have any doubt, some good YouTube videos will assist you in correctly installing the Nest.
- Memory: The Nest thermostat quickly memorizes your schedule and gets to work. Within a few days, the Nest will inquire whether you would like it to go to Auto-Away mode if it perceives your absence. It is totally up to you, and you can go with either the opt-in option or the other alternative.
- Fresh Version: It being the third version means that there will be certain important upgrades to make it more user-friendly and convenient for you. The third version is not only smaller, but its smooth and shiny look makes it eye-catching. The new features like the Farsight, Heads up, and Wall Clock Are absolute winners.The Heads up feature will notify you about any furnace problem that you might face.
- Wi-Fi App: Many people would like to have control over their thermostat even when they are away from home. A Wi-Fi enabled thermostat like Nest gives you the luxury of operating it even when you are far away from home. The best advantage of this Wi-Fi access is that as soon as the manufacturer comes up with new software updates, he can immediately send them to you.
- Color: Stainless Steel
- Display: 480×480 resolutions, 5.3 cm (diameter) 24-bit color LCD
- Languages: English, Spanish, French, Others
- Compatible With Fan (G), Power (C, RH, RC)
- Heat Pump: Auxiliary and Emergency heat(O/B, AUX, E)
- Humidifier/Dehumidifier: (HUM, DHUM)
- Heating: 1,2,3 stages (W1, W2, W3)
- Cooling: 1, 2 stages (Y1,Y2)
- Memory: 512 MB
- Battery: Fixed Lithium-ion battery (rechargeable)
- Warranty: 2 years
- Inside the Box:
1. Non-compulsory trim kit
2. Installation manual
3. Pro Installation Card
6. Screws and Labels
7. Welcome Guide
- It saves tons of energy. And, the cherry on top is you also get to know all about the energy history. The green leaf icon that you see on the Nest thermostat will notify you when you are saving energy.
- The Auto-Away mode is a lifesaver. It trains the Nest to understand your presence/absence in the house and work accordingly.
- Be it a heat pump or a radiant, your Nest thermostat is very easy to install. Also, your Nest will get along well with a forced air system, gas and oil as well.
- The brand has a reputation of its own, and the design looks ultra-modern and chic.
- You will find Nest always coming up with software updates.
- The guide will tell you all about what is a thermostat and how to use nest thermostat.
- For those of you who do not have an extra wire, you need to get one to charge the Nest batteries. In case you do not have one, your electricity cost might shoot up because then you would have to charge with the HVAC on.
- Another issue for some could be the Nest’s refusal to show the current temperature.
- One issue that reportedly cropped up was the annoying habit of Nest to go into “auto-away” mode even if you are at home. This usually happens if you haven’t passed by it for few hours.
- Also, there can be certain security concerns for some who are uncomfortable with sharing personal information while using the App.
Why Should You Buy This Product?
- First and foremost, the interface design is user-friendly, and you do not need to be a techie or a gadget freak to get a hang of it. Also, programming the Nest is easy, and you do not need to go into complicated algorithms to make it listen to you. The installation is quite easy too.
- Secondly, it comes with a lockable pin, which means you do not have to be worried about your kid or any other unwelcome user having access to it without your consent.
- The Wi-Fi access makes it even more worth it. Be it a laptop, tablet or your Smartphone – once you download the App, you can program it any way you like.
- If you have elderly people a home or children, they will have no problem to use it because it is extremely user-friendly.
- If you have been eyeing the Ecobee too, then you should know that Nest overpowers this brand by coming at a lower price. So, if you are on a budget, then it makes all the sense for you to go for Nest.
Once you go over the Nest 3rd gen review, ask yourself if it has the potential to satisfy all your needs. Whenever you think about Nest thermostat 2nd generation vs 3rd, the newer version will always overpower its predecessor because of its functionalities. Even then you need to realize that Nest thermostat is not for everyone. If you have budget concerns, then consider buying another thermostat which does not go beyond your budget. However, know that even if this particular thermostat is a tad bit expensive when compared to its rivals, being in possession of it will free you from having to worry about temperature regulation for once and all.
Also, it’s simple, yet the futuristic design is another plus point of it, and the fact that it has an iPod-like look makes it resonate well with both children and people who are gadget freaks. Usually, when you purchase a Nest thermostat, it stays with you for a long time. So, if you would like a Thermostat that will quickly learn what you teach it and offer you comfort throughout, go through this Nest Thermostat Review thoroughly and then decide. If you are still confused, you can always do research and read more nest learning thermostat reviews.